Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Monocots: Commelinids: Commelinales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Learn more about Cuthbertia from the Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH Flora of North America
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 038-03-001b:
Tradescantia rosea var. graminea FAMILY Commelinaceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Grassleaf Roseling, Pink Spiderwort, Slender Roseling
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Keith Bradley kab_cuthbertia_graminea
May Lexington County SC
Shealey's Pond Heritage Preserve
Each stem produces 3-10 rose-colored 3-petaled flowers 12-18mm across, per Wildflowers of the Sandhills Region (Sorrie, 2011).
Will Stuart wil_497891793_2a7223d7e2
May Chesterfield County SC
Carolina Sandhills National Wildlife Refuge
Will Stuart wil_8452401091_da801a05cf
August Chesterfield County SC
Leaves grass-like, mostly 6-9" long, 2mm wide, acuminate (long-tapering), per Wildflowers of the Sandhills Region (Sorrie, 2011).
Flora of North America
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Habitat: Longleaf pine sandhills, per Weakley's Flora
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Common in Carolina Coastal Plain (uncommon to rare elsewhere)
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
6 fertile stamens
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers (Nelson, 2006) p079
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 1st ed. (Porcher & Rayner, 2001) p236
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 2nd ed. (McMillan, Porcher, Rayner, & White; 2022) p296
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast (Cotterman, Waitt, & Weakley, 2019) p348
- Wildflowers of the Carolina Lowcountry (Porcher, 1995) p155
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1999) p159
- Wild Flowers of NC, 2nd edition (Justice, Bell, & Lindsey, 2005) p015
- Field Guide to the Wildflowers of Georgia (Chafin, 2016) p372
- Wildflowers of the Sandhills Region (Sorrie, 2011) p116
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".