Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Monocots: Asparagales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Learn more about Yucca from the Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH Floristic Synthesis of North America. BONAP (Kartesz, 2021)
SYNONYMOUS WITH Flora of North America
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 041-12-001:
Yucca aloifolia FAMILY Liliaceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Spanish Dagger, Aloe Yucca
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Patrick D. McMillan pdmyaloifolia_hutch1
June Colleton County SC
Plant with a trunk. Leaf margins minutely notched-serrulate, not fraying, per Weakley's Flora (2015).
Floristic Synthesis of North America. BONAP (Kartesz, 2021)
Flora of North America
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Habitat: dunes; also cultivated and persistent, per Weakley's Flora
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Uncommon in Coastal Plain (waifs in NC Piedmont)
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
IS THE PLANT "ARMED"?
6 tepals, perianth globose to campanulate
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- All About South Carolina Wildflowers (Midgley, 1999) p285
- Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers (Nelson, 2006) p106
- Gardening with Native Plants of the South (Wasowski & Wasowski, 1994, 2020) p093
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 2nd ed. (McMillan, Porcher, Rayner, & White; 2022) p498
- Native Shrubs and Woody Vines of the Southeast (Foote & Jones, 1989) p053
- Trees of the Southeastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1988) p051
- Wildflowers of the Carolina Lowcountry (Porcher, 1995) p082
- Wild Flowers of NC, 2nd edition (Justice, Bell, & Lindsey, 2005) p028
- Field Guide to the Wildflowers of Georgia (Chafin, 2016) p357
- Woody Plants of the Southeastern US: A Winter Guide (Lance, 2004) p384
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".