Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Rosids: Fabids: Fabales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Check out EDDMapS.org to see where this has been reported.
Learn more about Crimson Clover from the Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH Floristic Synthesis of North America. BONAP (Kartesz, 2021)
SYNONYMOUS WITH Native & naturalized Leguminosae (Fabaceae) of the US (Isely, 1998)
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 098-14-004:
Trifolium incarnatum FAMILY Fabaceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
JK Marlow jkm120405_569
April Pickens County SC
Dense heads of crimson flowers, first ovoid, then cylindrical, up to 3" long, per Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998).
JK Marlow jkm120405_571
April Pickens County SC
Flower heads are not subtended by leaves or expanded stipules, per Weakley's Flora.
Sam Pratt sbp060221_0568b
June Spartanburg County SC
Calyx densely tawny villous, lobes at first erect but later wide-spreading, per Vascular Flora of the Carolinas (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968).
Floristic Synthesis of North America. BONAP (Kartesz, 2021)
Native & naturalized Leguminosae (Fabaceae) of the US (Isely, 1998)
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Habitat: Fields, disturbed areas, per Weakley's Flora
Common (uncommon in Mountains, uncommon in GA Coastal Plain)
Click here to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
This plant may be causing problems in natural areas outside its native range, according to authorities such as:
Palmately compound: 3 leaflets
Stipules conspicuous, persistent, & adnate to the petiole
5-parted papilionaceous corolla
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Atlantic Coastal Plain Wildflowers (Nelson, 2006) p211
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC (Porcher & Rayner, 2001) p380
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast (Cotterman, Waitt, & Weakley, 2019) p345
- Wildflowers of the Carolina Lowcountry (Porcher, 1995) p200
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1999) p034
- Field Guide to the Wildflowers of Georgia (Chafin, 2016) p208
- Wildflowers of Tennessee (Carman, 2005) p142
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians (Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, & Duhl, 2005) p180
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998) p086