Spermatophytes (seed plants): Angiosperms (flowering plants): Eudicots: Core Eudicots: Caryophyllales
Dig deeper at SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria.
Read more about Halberd-leaf Tearthumb at Vascular Plants of North Carolina.
SYNONYMOUS WITH Flora of North America north of Mexico, vol. 5 (2005)
SYNONYMOUS WITH VASCULAR FLORA OF THE CAROLINAS (Radford, Ahles, & Bell, 1968) 063-04-019:
Polygonum arifolium FAMILY Polygonaceae
SYNONYMOUS WITH Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
To see larger pictures, click or hover over the thumbnails.
Gill Newberry gn10_polygonum_arifolium
Leaves to 6" long, broadly hastate with flaring triangular lobes, per Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998).
Flora of North America north of Mexico, vol. 5
Manual of the Southeastern Flora (Small, 1933, 1938)
Habitat: marshes, wet thickets, per Weakley's Flora
Native to the Carolinas & Georgia
Common in Carolina Coastal Plain, uncommon in NC Piedmont (rare elsewhere in GA-NC-SC)
CLICK HERE to see a map, notes, and images from Weakley's Flora of the Southeastern US.
Click here to see a map showing all occurrences known to SERNEC, a consortium of southeastern herbaria. (Zoom in to see more detail.)
IS THE PLANT "ARMED"?
Stem, petioles, and major leaf veins (beneath) have abundant recurved prickles
Inflorescence capitate or paniclelike, uninterrupted
TO LEARN MORE about this plant, look it up in a good book!
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 1st ed. (Porcher & Rayner, 2001) p330
- Guide to the Wildflowers of SC, 2nd ed. (McMillan, Porcher, Rayner, & White; 2022) p472
- Newcomb's Wildflower Guide (Newcomb, 1977) p402
- Wildflowers of the Atlantic Southeast (Cotterman, Waitt, & Weakley, 2019) p206
- Wildflowers of the Eastern United States (Duncan & Duncan, 1999) p004
- Field Guide to the Wildflowers of Georgia (Chafin, 2016) p293
- Wildflowers of the Southern Mountains (Smith, 1998) p032
If a search such as "Carex leptalea var. leptalea" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "Carex leptalea".
Or, to minimize chances of a misspelling, try just "Carex le".
Less is more: If "pencil flower" doesn't deliver the results you want, try "pencil".